EV CODE SIGNING
Increase downloads by removing security warnings – show users that your software is from a trusted source.
INTRODUCTION TO CODE SIGNING
When making a software purchase in a conventional shop, customers don't question the integrity of the software as long as the shrink wrap is intact. But what about when customers download software or run applications from the internet?
HOW CODE SIGNING CERTIFICATES WORK
Code signing is the method of using certificate-based digital signatures to sign executables and scripts in order to verify the author’s identity and ensure that the code has not been altered or corrupted since it was signed by the author. This helps to determine whether the software can be trusted or not.
WHY YOU NEED A CODE SIGNING CERTIFICATE?
If you don’t use a code signing certificate, anyone can read and alter the software you send over the internet. An intruder can insert additional code to your software that can be harmful for the receiver's systems and security.
With the use of code signing certificates the download rate for your software will increase and security warnings will be removed. This is due to the crucial user trust to the initial process which will prevent most users from aborting the installation in the first place.
- When software applications encounter an unsigned executable, the end user is alerted with a security warning stating 'This file does not have a valid digital signature that verifies its publisher. You should only run software from publishers you trust.'
- Software applications and executables that have been signed with a Code Signing certificate display the publisher's name, making it easy for the end user to identify them as a trustworthy source and proceed with the download.
STANDARD VS. EV CODE SIGNING CERTIFICATES
EV Code Signing certificates build on the existing benefits of standard Code Signing certificates to offer stronger levels of assurance that the identity of the publisher is correct and has been verified.
- Strict vetting process assures end users that the identity of the publisher has been verified
- Certificate stored on USB token reduces the risk that the certificate will be stolen
- Immediate reputation with Microsoft SmartScreen Filter removes scary warning messages to end users that the application might be malicious
SUPPORT FOR EV CODE SIGNING
The guides listed on this page, will help you through the process of initializing your USB SafeNet Token, installing your EV Code Signing certificate, as well as providing you with instructions on how to sign code from a variety of platforms and applications.
STEP 1 – DOWNLOAD SAFENET DRIVERS
STEP 2 – INITIALIZE SAFENET TOKEN
STEP 3 – ADD GLOBALSIGN URLS TO TRUSTED SITES
STEP 4 – PICKUP AND INSTALL YOUR EV CODE SIGNING CERTIFICATE
STEP 5 – SIGN YOUR CODE